Zito Media is seeking a Cable Locator to identify and mark buried fiber optic and coax cable by referencing utility prints and using specific locating equipment. The candidate must be flexible to work in all types of terrain and weather conditions, be able to succeed under stressful situations, and conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times. The candidate must also be motivated to work independently and demonstrate good time management skills to plan and accomplish assigned work load as required.
- Read and understand utility maps, prints and aerial imagery to assist in identification of underground fiber optic and coax cable assets.
- Prioritize work activities by reviewing all locate requests to determine travel route and timelines.
- Operate hand-held detection equipment in the designed manner.
- Ability to work in all types of terrain and hazards (grass, gravel, ditches, etc.), all types of environments (construction sites, highways, industrial, private property, etc.) and all types of weather conditions.
- Drive extensively, get in-and-out of vehicle repeatedly and walk several miles a day.
- Mark the location of underground fiber optic and coax cable assets on roadways, private property, and other locations, as appropriate and needed, using required spray paints, flags and other equipment.
- Accurately and consistently wear safety gear, and operate safety equipment provided.
- Daily contact with utility managers, crews, homeowner, and contractors discussing locate issues.
- Work on-call hours and some overnight travel as needed.
- Perform other related duties and tasks as assigned or as become evident.
- High school diploma or its equivalent.
- Valid state driver’s license, with an excellent driving record.
- Ability to write and verbally communicate effectively with all levels of Zito Media personnel and with outside contractors, utility representatives and homeowners.
- Ability to work professionally in a diverse and stressful environment.
- Complete and document work activities using laptop computer and transmit completed tickets on a timely basis to the company’s mainframe.
- Maintain confidentiality in regards to company, employee and customer situations.
- Work under minimal supervision.
- Apply expertise to a variety of situations, evaluate problems, and implement the best solutions.
- Ability to climb poles and ladders daily.
- Carry, set-up and extend ladders weighing up to 100 lbs.
- Confidence working in/on buckets, ladders and utility poles at heights of up to 40 feet.
- Ability to periodically lift up to 100 pounds.
- Use the standard tools of the trade (screwdrivers, wrenches, drills, strippers, crimpers, hammers, etc.) to route cable, connect cable and install electronic equipment.
- Able to work a variety of schedules in order to provide needed coverage, for both normal duty and on-call duty.
- Sufficient visual and aural acuity to operate a variety of standard test and measurement equipment.
- Drive extensively and get in-and-out of vehicle repeatedly.
Zito Media retains the right to change this job description any time. Zito offers a robust benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401 (k) plan, and discounted services for employees who reside within the Zito coverage areas.
Zito Media is an equal opportunity employer which prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age or sex. The company encourages job applications from minority and female candidates.