Zito is looking for a full-time Fiber Technician Apprentice to learn the trade of terminating, splicing, documenting and testing of all fiber optic cables within Zito Media’s fiber optic networks and their related equipment with the end goal of providing maximum operating efficiency. Also responsible for customer premise installations. Perform fiber tests with OTDRs, light source and meters. Terminates, splices, and tests fiber optic equipment to division standards. Provides accurate equipment location, splicing and terminating records for the fiber database. Builds bays, racking, jumper ducts and other network elements needed for the installing of fiber optic equipment and patch and panels. Monitor, communicate and perform corrective actions to fix problems affecting any fiber or fiber related equipment. Install demarcation enclosures, switches and other telecom equipment.
- Basic Knowledge or willingness to learn premise entry and electronic equipment installation.
- Basic Knowledge or willingness to learn the technologies and standards as they apply to the installation of fiber optic networks.
- Ability to differentiate color codes, as well as read and understand manufacturer’s manuals for operating and repairing of electronic equipment and components.
- Ability to utilize bucket trucks and safety equipment.
- Basic courtesy, diplomatic abilities and a pleasant demeanor.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers and other staff.
- Available for on-call and after-hours call out.
- 2+ years of outside plant fiber splicing and customer premise equipment installation.
- Experience with the following equipment: fusion splicer, mechanical splicer, OTDR, power meters, traffic identifiers, digital multimeters, cleavers, strippers, buffer tube splitters, cable ring tools, hand tools, toners, rodders, ladders, bucket trucks, etc.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision, within broad guidelines of procedures and goals, able to apply technical expertise to a variety of situations, evaluating problems and implementing the best solutions.
- Work well under pressure and deadline environments.
- Maximum body weight cannot exceed industry standards in order to comply with safety limitations of equipment.
- Carry, set-up and extend ladders weighing up to 100 lbs., as well as work with confidence on ladders and utility poles at heights of up to 40 feet.
- Work indoors and outdoors in all types of weather.
- Visual and aural acuity to operate a variety of standard test and measurement equipment.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid state driver’s license along with an excellent driving record.
Ziito Media retains the right to change this job description any time. Zito offers a robust benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401 (k) plan, and discounted services for employees who reside within the Zito coverage areas.
Zito Media is an equal opportunity employer which prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age or sex. The company encourages job applications from minority and female candidates.