Zito Media needs a new GIS specialist to join our team. As a GIS specialist, you will work to store and interpret geospatial and geographic data. You will be required to perform the daily tasks and remedial work for this position as well as research and understand new technology relating to the GIS field and learn new information systems.
The ideal candidate should have experience navigating computer systems as well as geographic software and data. Previous experience in using QGIS or ESRI is preferred. The qualified candidate will also be responsible for using Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) to generate datasets and mapping to support Zito’s efforts to pursue network expansion opportunities through various State and Federal Grant opportunities.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Design, develop and implement systems and databases for geospatial data
- Proficient at using datasets with mapping
- Ability to import and export various formats, like shapefile and KML/KMZ.
- Perform GIS geoprocessing functions like intersections, buffers, differences, unions
- Dynamically set up maps and data to aid management in decision making
- Standardize geographic data
- Research and conduct tests on new researching tools
- Perform geospatial modeling and spatial analysis
- Review GIS data for accuracy
- Build, update and maintain databases and GIS software and hardware
- Administer and troubleshoot applications and GIS solutions
Assist with special projects as needed
Perform other related duties and tasks as assigned or as become evident.
- Work in a team environment to develop broadband expansion plans which shall include maps, estimated construction mileage, serviceable vs non-serviceable areas
- Assist in budget preparation and grant response preparation to secure funding for such projects
- Prioritize routes based on homes passed per mile, future networking opportunities, etc…
Specific Responsibilities of the Job:
- Proficiency with GIS desktop software and data management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively configure data
- Experience with various technology methodologies and applications
- Detail-oriented and analytical thinker
- Knowledge of multiple programming languages
- Ability to process and analyze data
Regular and reliable attendance is a must
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Candidate must be able to develop a thorough understanding of telecommunications and broadband products. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who takes initiative and is able to maintain professionalism and flexibility in a hectic environment. Computer skills are a must. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
As a GIS specialist, having certifications in relevant software use as well as geographic data parsing would be beneficial but not required. These certifications will remain largely the same due to the specialized nature of this field. Some of the ideal certifications for a GIS specialist may include the following:
- Geographic Information Systems Professional (GISP). A GISP, or Geographic Information Systems Professional, will gain real experience as well as education on geographic information systems. Although this certification does require more than two years of work experience, it is extremely beneficial to any GIS specialist who is looking to prove their ability through relevant certification and training.
- Geographic Information Services (GIS) Professional. Offered by the GIS Certification Institute, the Geographic Information Services Professional certification provides proof of expertise and establishes confidence in a GIS specialist. Because of this, this certification is one of the key recognized certifications for a geographic information systems specialist.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle, type on a computer, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk at least 200 yards at a time, reach with arms and hands, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include driving, reading on a computer monitor, reading contracts and other printed documents, such as plats and sales material.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
Zito Media retains the right to change this job description any time. Zito offers a robust benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401 (k) plan, and discounted services for employees who reside within the Zito coverage areas.
Zito Media is an equal opportunity employer which prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age or sex. The company encourages job applications from minority and female candidates.