The Outside Plant Contractor Manager works closely with the senior OSP, project management, and fiber planning teams to create a reliable and maintainable fiber optic system that minimizes construction and operational costs.
- Coordinate with Regional Outside Plant Managers on the scheduling and tracking of construction tasks.
- Actively participate in and make recommendations related to contractor selection.
- Disseminate scope, build prints, and direction to general contractors under the guidance of the Regional Outside Plant Manager.
- Obtain and maintain competitive unit rate schedules for all approved aerial and underground contractors. Assist with evaluation of quotes for special construction.
- Track actual costs for all construction projects and prepare reports. Responsible for identification and escalation of projected variances to management and participate in the generation of mitigation plans.
- Maintain forecasts of future construction crew needs and work with Project Management to prioritize and place in project tracking systems. Secure commitments from contractors for crews in accordance with projected resource demand.
- Coordinate frequent periodic communication with contractors to assess construction status and identify risk areas for consideration by regional OSP manager.
- Control and record project documentation on behalf of the regional OSP manager, including build prints, returned as-built documentation, budgets, and material records with an emphasis on ensuring accuracy.
- Assist with generation of accurate project Bills of Material (BOM) and requests to warehouse. Assist materials management team in ensuring the return and credit of unneeded, unused or re-usable project material.
- Assist Regional OSP manager with review of contractor billing and as built documentation. Insure contractor billing is verified as accurate and in accordance with established contract pricing.
- Prepares weekly construction reports and updates ERP systems as required.
- Candidate should have three (3) years’ experience with outside plant, including exposure to applicable codes and regulations (NESC, NEC, etc)
- Should possess knowledge of applicable permitting processes, including aerial pole attachments, conduit occupancy, and underground easements for trenching, plowing, and directional drilling.
- Working knowledge of the following additional programs is preferred: Visio, AutoCAD or Bentley products, and Adobe products.
- Candidate must have a valid driver’s license
- Criminal background and drug screening is required.
- Candidate must submit to background checks and have ability to obtain mandated clearances for working within Department of Education facilities, as well as any other clearances that may be periodically required.
- Candidate must be proficient with spreadsheets and other office documents, must have working knowledge of Google Earth, and understand geocoding and mapping techniques using GPS coordinates.
- Candidate must have excellent communication skills and attention to detail and accuracy, particularly with respect to measurement techniques and field notes.
- The ability to work with minimum supervision to complete work in a timely manner is also required.