This Sr. Optical Transport Engineer will be responsible for optical assessment, planning, design and implementation for Zito’s transport network (CWDM/DWDM/OTN). Functions as a technical expert. With little to no oversight, develops and applies advanced architectural techniques, concepts and approaches to unique architecture and engineering problems. May supervise junior architects and engineering staff on projects of medium to high complexity or serve as a technical expert providing knowledge and expertise.
Key duties include:
- Translating business requirements to technical network design specifications for implementation
- Provide technical guidance for all transport related issues and escalations
- Participates as technical lead on major projects and application roll-outs
- Responsible for developing and adhering to all architectural/quality processes and procedures
- Work hand-in-hand with project management on technical issues
- Develops and manages scope, schedule and budget requirements
- Strengths include documentation and processes
- Capable of optimizing day-to-day operational stability with the continual need to improve the service and deploy new solutions
- Assesses industry standards, and where appropriate, incorporates them into Zito’s optical design best practices
- Develop fiber standards and acceptance criteria for transport network and dark fiber
- Work with fiber providers to improve fiber loss, reflectance, and other issues related to optical transmission of data up to 200Gbps.
- Follow vendor product road maps and prepare project plans for deployment of systems capable of 400Gbps and beyond.
- Assist with building of quality control around fiber delivery ensuring minimal issues for deployment teams
- Lead documentation efforts around optical network
- Audit current transport network, document findings, recommend improvements
- Assist with audit current dark fiber inventory and document findings
- Typically a minimum of 10 years network related work experience. Utility experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering technology or sciences preferred or any other degree, specialized training, or experience, that makes the individual uniquely qualified to perform the job responsibilities
- Industry recognized credentials preferred as needed
Preferred Technical Competencies:
- Expert knowledge of optical transport architecture and engineering design principles, guides and standards.
- Expert experience in designing and evaluating optical transport network (particular emphasis on OTN and DWDM)
- Experience configuring, testing and evaluating transport networks such as SONET, DWDM/OTN, and Packet Transport.
- Experience or knowledge using such tools as OTDRs, Fiber Characterization Test Sets, Optical Channel Spectrum Analyzers, Light Meters and other related transport apparatus.
- Installation experience with establishing, commissioning and integrating optical network devices, fiber, cable management and rack power distribution.
- Ability to evaluate, refine and implement architectural designs.
- Professional network documentation skills, including, but not limited to the development and evolving of network drawings, rack layouts, cut sheets and various technical deliverables.
- Advanced writings skills in creating and publishing professional processes and procedures, including System Requirements, Method of Procedures (MOPs), work packages, Request for Information (RFI) and Request for Proposals (RFP), among other related deliverables.
- Advanced knowledge of telecommunications technologies and architectures, including integration of transport, MPLS, and IP networks
- Advanced ability to scope engineering deliverable content
- Advanced industry knowledge and technology trends
- Advanced knowledge of technical aspects of the proposal process
- Intermediate knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles
- Intermediate knowledge of process, procedures for project controls and estimating
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
- Logical Thinking and Problem-Solving
- Oral and Written Communications
- Influence and Consensus Building
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Customer Focus
- Quality Assurance
Zito Media retains the right to change this job description any time. Zito offers a robust benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401 (k) plan, and discounted services for employees who reside within the Zito coverage areas.
Zito Media is an equal opportunity employer which prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age or sex. The company encourages job applications from minority and female candidates.